The health-boosting wonders of hemp
Hemp is an amazing superfood, supplement, weight loss aid, brain booster, heart helper and all-round nutritional and agricultural wonder.
Hemp is one of the world’s oldest cultivated plants, and for good reason; it’s also one of the most valuable, versatile and sustainable plants known to man!
While many still confuse hemp with its narcotic cousin cannabis (which comes from the same plant), hemp does not contain the THC found in cannabis and therefore has no intoxicating effect.
“Hemp is in fact an amazing superfood, supplement, weight loss aid, brain booster, heart helper and all-round nutritional and agricultural wonder”, says Robyn Smith, founder of online and organic natural store, Faithful to Nature.
What can hemp do for your body, your mind and your planet?
Key nutrients in hemp
Amino Acids: Hemp is known as a complete protein, which means it contains all the Essential Amino Acids (EAAs) your body needs for optimal health. It’s a great supplement for vegans and vegetarians who wouldn’t get EAAs from animal-based foods.
Edistin: This is a protein that your body uses to make antibodies and enzymes. Hemp protein contains the highest Edistin percentage of any plant-based protein.
Omegas: Fatty acids (Omega-3, Omega-6 and GLA) with a wealth of health benefits for the body and mind. Hemp is an excellent vegetarian and vegan-friendly source of Omegas.
Because hemp is natural, these nutrients can all be easily recognised, digested and put to use by your body.
Some of the key health benefits of this remarkable plant:
For your body
Hemp provides you with an excellent vegetarian and vegan-friendly source of essential fatty acids(Omega-3, Omega-6 and GLA). It’s also a rich source of vitamin E.
- Improves energy levels
- Boosts metabolic rate
- Supports healthy cell growth
- Lowers LDL (bad) cholesterol levels
- Lowers high blood pressure
- Supports healthy cardiovascular (heart) function
- Supports the immune system
- A powerful anti-inflammatory; soothes inflammation and conditions like arthritis
- Promotes muscle repair and recovery after exercise
- Helps to build lean muscle
- Assists with weight loss and management
- Supports skin, hair and joint health
For your mind
The Omegas in hemp have plenty of brain-boosting benefits too:
- Improve brain function and focus
- Reduce symptoms of ADHD
- Protect the brain against age-related memory loss
- Reduce and combat symptoms of Alzheimer’s, dementia and Parkinson’s
Easy, tasty ways to enjoy hemp
Another great benefit of hemp is that it’s allergy-friendly. It can be eaten by those who can’t tolerate nuts, gluten, lactose or sugar. It’s also really easy to digest; more so than meat, dairy, eggs or any other protein-rich food. Shelled Hemp Seeds can be mixed into smoothies, sprinkled over salads, cereals, fresh fruit and soup.
Read: Protein facts
They can also be processed to make hemp milk. Hemp Seed Powder is a great sports supplement that works for body builders, endurance athletes and slimmers alike! This protein powder goes well with smoothies and juices. Hemp Seed Oil can be taken as supplement (hemp oil capsule) or cold-pressed hemp oil as a salad dressing. Hemp Milk is the ideal allergy-friendly alternative to almond and coconut milks.
For your planet
Hemp is also good for the environment:
- Grows in a variety of climates and soil types.
- Requires less water than most crops.
- Naturally immune to most pests; reduced need for pesticides, herbicides, fertilisers etc.
- Actually ABSORBS CO2 while it grows, making it carbon-negative!
- Grows very tightly spaced, so saves on the need for land.
- Has a very fast growth rate and gives farmers a high yield.
- Naturally improves and enriches the soil, farmers can grow food crops directly after a hemp harvest.
- Can be used to make durable, attractive textiles and soft beautiful clothing.
- Can be used in place of trees to make paper.
- Used to make “hempcrete” bricks, insulation, flooring etc. to construct sustainable buildings.
- Can be made into recyclable hemp plastic; stronger, lighter and cheaper than materials like carbon fibre or fibreglass.
- Can even be made into highly efficient bio-fuel!